(What and How to Choose Best One)
In this blog, we will discuss
- What does it mean to host a site?
- How much does it cost to host a website?
- What is the purpose of a web hosting service?
- How much does it cost to host a website?
- How can I get free domain name and hosting?
- What are the different types of web hosting?
- Can I host my own website on my computer?
Web Hosting is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. Your host, the computer where your website files are stored, assigns an address (DNS) for your files to your domain name so that anyone can find your website on the Internet by typing in your domain name. When Internet users want to view your website, all they need to do is type your website address or domain into their browser. Their computer will then connect to your server and your WebPages will be delivered to them through the browser.
Each computer on the Internet is assigned a unique address, called an IP address. A typical IP address looks like this: 199.123.456.7
It is very difficult to keep in mind the IP addresses of all the websites we visit daily. Words are easier to remember than strings of numbers. This is where domain names come into the picture. When you visit a website, all you need to know is its URL. Computers remember numbers, and DNS helps us convert the URL into an IP address that the computer can understand.
When you type in domain.com into your browser, the browser first needs to get the IP address of http://www.domain.com. The browser contacts a DNS server to query the location of the server where the web pages are stored. Think of it as a directory service of IP address.
How Much Does It Cost to Set Up a Website?
It depends on the cost of a domain name, web hosting plan and if you are using any software as service for your website (i.e. WordPress for blogging, website builder etc.,).
The price of a domain name varies depending on a number of factors:
- The domain extension (i.e., .com vs. .shop)
- Where you purchase the domain name from (i.e., a reputable registrar, an aftermarket service, a private seller, etc.)
- The term length or add-ons you select (i.e., registering for multiple years, electing to include domain privacy, etc.)
Based on the type of web hosting, cost of hosting vary.
Web Server: -A web server is a program that stores files (usually web pages) and makes them accessible via the network or the internet. The following is a list of the common web servers:-
- Apache– This is the commonly used web server on the internet. It is cross-platform but is it’s usually installed on Linux. Most PHP websites are hosted on Apache servers.
- Internet Information Services (IIS)– It is developed by Microsoft. It runs on Windows and is the second most used web server on the internet. Most asp and aspx websites are hosted on IIS servers.
- Apache Tomcat – Most Java server pages (JSP) websites are hosted on this type of web server.
- Other web servers – These include Novell’s Web Server and IBM’s Lotus Domino servers.
HTTP Protocol is used to process HTML file from web server to web client (web browsers).
You can host a website on your computer by installing a web server like Apache, it will not be visible to the public network.
Some Free Hosting providers: –
Bandwidth: 100GB | Disk Space: 1.5GB | Ads: No | Panel: Cpanel | MySQL Databases: 2 | Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 5 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: Yes.
Bandwidth: 6GB | Disk Space: 250MB | Ads: No | Panel: Elefante | MySQL Databases: 1 | Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 3 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: No.
Bandwidth: 20GB | Disk Space: 5GB | Ads: No | Panel: Cpanel | MySQL Databases: 3 | Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 0 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: Yes.
Bandwidth: 250GB | Disk Space: 10GB | Ads: No | Panel: Cpanel | MySQL Databases: 1 | Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 1 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: Yes.
Bandwidth: 50GB | Disk Space: 6GB | Ads: No | Panel: Zymic | MySQL Databases: 3 | Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 0 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: Yes.
Bandwidth: 50GB | Disk Space: 1GB | Ads: No | Panel: Cpanel | MySQL Databases: 5 |Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 5 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: Yes.
Bandwidth: 4GB | Disk Space: 200MB | Ads: No | Panel: Proprietary | MySQL Databases: 1 | Website: 1 | E-mail accounts: 1 | Domain hosting: yes | FTP: Yes.